
I heard mixed things before and after going to see Quentin Tarantino's new movie, "Inglourious Basterds." IGN said it was a mixed bag giving it 3 out of 5 stars. A local paper said it had it's "glorious" moments. A friend on facebook said he didn't see what all the hype was about. Jme texted me just before to say that she highly recommended it.
So if you are wondering what I thought about it, I will tell you in one word:
Awesome.
Want a few more words? Ok, here we go. Let me explain the entire night for you.
We originally tried to go the 7 showing, only to stand outside in the rain to find out it was sold out. No problem, we went ahead and bought our tickets for the ten. Decided to meet up with friends when we got there which probably wasn't a good idea. You would think that if we say the 7 sell out we would be cautious, but arriving a little late to the 10:15 showing there were barely any seats left. So we sat in the very front row. Ya know, the one where you have to crane your neck to look at the screen and there is nothing in front of you. First part of the night starts when during the trailers, the audio goes out and the lights come back on. They fixed it, but when the movie started, instead of the curtains going out, they closed in. And it was out of focus.
These problems were fixed during the first chapter. The movie, broken down into five chapters, starts off with a lot of dialogue. A theme which would run rampant throughout the movie, but shouldn't be surprising to any viewer of Tarantino's movies. I will try to do this without much spoilers, but the opening scene was intense and set that tone for the rest of the movie. A lot of sitting in your seat wondering "oh shit, what is about to happen here."
The second chapter set the other tone of the movie. The "holy shit, this is going to be funny too" tone. This is because the second chapter is when Brad Pitt, as Lt. Aldo Rane makes his debut. And he hooks you from the second he opens his mouth. We also sort of see an introduction to the other members of the basterds.
Without giving too much away, the rest of the movie introduces characters and intertwines them, very nicely I might add, at the end. Here is what you need to know:
1) A lot of dialogue -- but it's a good thing. I don't know how well it will hold up after multiple viewings, but for that first time it is great for setting up anticipation.
2) The violence is well what you would expect. Over the top and in a "should I feel weird about this" kind of way -- fun.
3) Brad Pitt steals the show. I have compared him to Heath Ledger's Joker in The Dark Knight or Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow in the second and third Pirates. Whenever they are off screen, you miss them and pretty much spend the movie waiting on them to come back.
So like I said, a lot of mixed things have been said. I loved it. I consider it to be a tie for movie of 2009 with Up. And on a final note, everyone in the theatre gave a standing ovation if that means anything.
Not sure how long this is going to be up, but enjoy...
We keep trying to go see it but we keep watching Arrested Development instead haha
ReplyDeleteI secretly hate Quentin Tarantino (don't hurt me!), but I can't explain why. Maybe it's because he's super, super, super irritating whenever he's interviewed? Or because he uses stupidly gratuitous violence in like every second scene of his films? I don't know. I still kind of like his movies anyway. But I really want to see this one, especially now that you and Jamie have recommended it so highly. Besides, anything with Brad Pitt in it is just fine by me – I don't care how awful the movie is! (And might this be a new man-crush for you, Mr O? HA!) Thanks for yet another awesome review, my friend.
ReplyDeleteI really want to see it!
ReplyDeleteCool. I can't wait to see this.
ReplyDeleteI love Brad Pitt, I think anything he does turns out good.
ReplyDeleteI've seen behind the scenes footage, when the soldiers knock him down in his white tux, he goes - ''that's goooood'' or something like that. You can tell he liked getting knocked down. May have even enjoyed it a bit too much....
I'm going to see this on Wed and I've been pretty psyched for it. I generally rely mostly on Rotten Tomatoes for a movie score- since you get the average of all of the reviews- before I see a movie. IG got an 87%- which in my opinion is a great score. Anything over 75% is usually worth seeing. I love over the top ridiculous violence and Tarantino has always made me laugh.
ReplyDeleteHave you seen District 9 yet?
Sounds like a pretty positive review! I hate arriving at the theater when it's jam-packed and having to sit in the wayyy front. At least you had Mr. Brad Pitt to stare at on the screen! :)
ReplyDeleteto most of you -- I don't think you would be disappointed. If you are, you can cuss me out.
ReplyDelete@the girl:
I'm actually not what you would call a fan of his stuff. Not a hater, but not a fan either. To this day I still haven't seen the Kill Bills and I only a few years ago saw Pulp Fiction. But as for Brad Pitt, have I mentioned that Fight Club is my favorite movie of all time, so it's safe to say he kinda started the list ;)
@Lola:
We usually rely on sites, except if it's a movie we are going to see anyways. I haven't really checked out RT, but i heard they gave District 9 a 100%. Based on all the hype, we saw it. I wouldn't say I hated it, but I wasn't impressed. If the people we saw it with would have left, I would have left too. It's just my kind of movie, but I still love your questions!
@Lisa:
I'm glad you enjoyed the description of the night. And I'm usually cool with the front because my brother in law likes to sit in the very back when we all go and it feels like the screen is miles away haha
I haven't seen it and I'm with Ms. Teacup. I just don't get the Tarantino hype.
ReplyDelete